Summer without a break
The moor barracks or seasonal barracks were originally built in 1939. There were numerous buildings of this type in the moor. They consisted of individual modules for the outer and inner walls, roof and floor. These could be individually assembled. That meant that the length of a building could be extended as required. A number of residents used the seasonal barracks all year round. There was no bathroom. Washbowls were used. A pit latrine in an outhouse away from the building was used as a toilet. In front of the barrack, there was a 28 m deep well that could be tapped from the kitchen unit.
The peat workers barrack shown in Figures 4 and 5 was built in 1961. The building has been empty since 1986. There were also other barracks of identical construction in the conservation area which have been removed.
Figure 2 shows the historical site plan of the barrack in the 1960s with the outside toilet (outhouse). The floor plan in Figure 3 shows the historical breakdown of the barrack.
The days on which peat was cut were limited when viewed over the year, and they were heavily dependent on the weather conditions. Worker pay was based on their performance.
The picture of the mounds of fibric peat (Fig. 6) was taken in April 1980 and provides a view of the open terrain.
Figure 7 shows clearly that there were no trees in the peat cutting area. The trolley shelter can be seen on the left.